Like everyone here – I love to travel. I love the planning, the anticipation,
In recent years there has been much written about the negative effects that tourism has on our environment. Whilst we have all enjoyed cheaper airfares and the introduction of the home share economy, it has undoubtedly lead to increased carbon emissions and to the reduction of affordable accommodation for locals in many cities.
Furthermore… “Tourism puts enormous stress on local land use, and can lead to soil erosion, increased pollution, natural habitat loss, and more pressure on endangered species. These effects can gradually destroy the environmental resources on which tourism itself depends.”
However, we are learning that home swapping when we travel is an eco-friendly concept that brings benefits not only to us but also to the environment. Home-swapping and house-sitting can allow us to travel, holiday and explore without negative environmental impacts. We can travel AND support local economies and communities.
So, here are 5 more reasons to join 2 degrees of accommodation . It undoubtedly a perfect model of sustainable tourism.
- According to recent studies, home-sharing results in significant reductions in greenhouse emissions, waste elimination, energy and water usage. Home sharing consumes up to 78% less energy than hotels. Water usage is also significantly reduced by up to 48%.
- House-swapping and house – sitting encourages environmentally friendly practices. 2 degrees of Accommodation lets you live like the locals, and to immerse in the practices of those who live in the community, participants are more likely to use public transport or even ride a bike.
- Home-swapping and house-sitting offer social and economic benefits for the local communities. Staying in large hotels and resorts often means that tourist dollars are going to international chains – and not the local economy. Staying local and spending local strengthens and supports the livelihoods of the people who live in the region you are visiting.
- Using existing resources (homes), negates the need to create more buildings or increase a carbon footprint. Home-Swapping creates no extra negative impact on our environment.
- 2 Degrees of Accommodation does not cause housing shortages and maintains the status quo for local residents. Unlike other forms of the ‘Home Share Economy’, House-Swapping or House-Sitting does not cause an increase in long term rental rates or a reduction of available rentals for locals in city centres.
Of course, it goes without saying… we must always be conscious of the environment in which we are visiting. We need to support our host communities by respecting their customs, making an effort to learn some of their language and always, always to be courteous and respectful. Staying, eating, shopping and learning local ensures a much more authentic travel experience.
And let’s not forget – 2 degrees of Accommodation is completely free! So, it’s a win-win–win: for us, the locals and the environment!